Professional Certification Federal Disclosures

Western Washington University has not determined whether its programs meet other states’ educational or professional requirements for licensure and certification. Students planning to pursue licensure or certification in other states are responsible for determining whether, if they complete a Western Washington University program, they will meet their state’s requirements for licensure or certification. This disclosure is made pursuant to 34 CFR §668.43(a)(5)(v)(C).

Contact and other information about specific programs that lead to professional licensure and certification are below.

Teacher Certification

Western Washington University teacher education and school counseling programs lead to full certification and are approved by the state of Washington. Beyond completion of our program, other licensure requirements may include Washington state-specific examinations and coursework, background checks, years of work experience, fingerprinting requirements, etc. Candidates who complete Western Washington University’s state-approved preparation programs for teachers, administrators, and school counselors will be recommended to the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) for licensure upon meeting all requirements for certification.

Information regarding reciprocity and which states will accept Washington’s certificates can be found online.  Visit Teacher License Reciprocity on the Education Commission website for information listing each state’s licensing board and contact information. If you have questions around obtaining a teaching certificate in Washington and/or its transferability to other states, please contact the Director of Certification, Peter Johnson, (or call 360-650-4630) for more information.

Clinical Mental Health Counseling

For additional information about this program, please contact the Program Director, Dr. Christina Byrne (or call 360-650-7945). Information about specific state licensure requirements are available from the respective licensing bodies of those states; they are also collected by the American Counseling Association.